Tuesday 15 October 2013

Designing the Back Cover

I have used the same photo that features on the front cover, but I have removed the volume image and used a different filter to edit this with. I have kept the light patterns and leaks that can be found on VSCOcam and Afterlight as in this instance it makes the image brighter and happier.  

I then decided to include track listing, copyright laws, a barcode and the record label logo, as these are conventions found on previously looked at digipaks. 
On each back cover the logo, barcode and copyright information are in the same place. The barcode is neatly displayed in the bottom right hand corner, next to it features a small yet easily visible Island Records logo. Producer and copyright information are displayed using smaller white text that is subtle, however I feel it is still easy to read. 

A Gentle Touch
I really like the looped handwritten effect, as it is similar to my chosen font on the front cover of my digipak. I like the amount of space left at the top and bottom of the track listing, as it doesn't risk being cut off, yet it doesn't look lost on the panel. I think the white really stands out and is easy to read.

Brain Flower
Even though I really like this font, I have to agree that it doesn't match my front cover and the handwritten style that I want to go for. The lines are also too thin and not clear enough to read, meaning that this font isn't a choice for my back cover.

Brain Flower (option 2) 
I thought that maybe a different layout would make this font look better, or maybe even the back cover as a whole, however I am unsure. I feel that even though it looks nice, the words are lost and too small in comparison to everything else featured. I think if I made it a larger size, the fact it does not match my theme would be even more prominent. 


Dawn of New Day
The scrolling font used here can be described as pretty and definitely matches the theme of my digipak. However, some words are not so clear to read because of the thin lines used. 


Signerica
I really like this font, it has to be one of my favourites and is exactly what I wanted my back cover font to look like. However, after putting it on the digipak and seeing how it portrays the album titles, I can see it won't work. The lines are not strong enough and the words cannot be deciphered easily, meaning that the album titles cannot be read. Also, it doesn't match the font of my front cover; going from an easily read font to a not-so-easily-read font does not depict a consistent theme. 


So Lonely
This font is not one I would choose for anything. It strikes me as old fashioned and even though it is in the handwritten style, the calligraphy is too scrolled and cannot be read too easily. Several words are not presented in a way which I would want them, so this font is not one of my choices. 


You Wont Bring me Down 
Even though this font is clear and easy to read, I do not feel that the font is pretty enough, and it seems quite basic; almost childlike. I don't think it looks right on the back cover, so I will not be using it as one of the choices. 


Chosen Font:
(final draft back cover)  

Never Let Go 
In order for my digipak to be consistent within its theme and the way it looks, I will use the same font as chosen for the front cover. The font that runs through the digipak will also be featured on the magazine advert to bring the two items together to form a clear link. I feel the writing on the back cover is bold, clear and easy to read, as well as portraying the style and handwritten effect I planned for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment